Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Breaking lease due to job change

Posted by Johnny Cheng on March 07, 2000 at 12:54:35:

Hi,

I'm currently 6 months into a 1 year written lease for a bachelor unit in an apartment. I wish to break the lease so I can move out of Los Angeles and into a new job in San Diego.

The difficulty is that after I submit my 30-day intention to vacate notice, the leasing agents have informed me that I'm also subject to a $250 cancellation fee plus responsibility of rental fees until the end of the lease (9/15/00). If they manage to find a replacement for my unit, then I will no longer be responsible for rent, however, they will not allow me to find a replacement on my own.

The leasing contract has early termination clauses all crossed out. It will be difficult to support rent in two places simultaneously if we suppose that the AvalonBay management is unable to find a replacement within a resonable amount of time after my date of vacancy (4/5/00).

I'd like to know if I have any rights as to whether or not I am able to break the lease peacefully in this situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name