Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

eviction procedures

Posted by Mindy on March 04, 2000 at 16:54:48:

My landlord initiated procedures by sticking a note on my door with a demand for rent payment within 9 days.
The note shows the total amount due for each week going back about 1 and 1/2 years. He did not subract any payments I made during that time, nor did he subtract 2 months for which he gave tenants a rent abatement.

This means a show in court.

I have the money to pay him the owed rent and am able to make weekly, full rent payments.

My question is how to best pay this. Giving him the money wihin the next week seems unnecessary since I cannot pay the full amount which does not include my payments. Or, am I missing something?

Would it be acceptable to present the payment to him in court during the hearing while I show the judge my receipts of rent payment and the actual amount I owe.

Or is there an advantage to send the (corrected) payment amount to the landlord this coming week via registered mail?

How long does it usually take, in NYC, from the time notice is given to the tenant and the court hearing?

Lastly, can you refer me to a NYC source of counsel on eviction procedures?

Thanks in advance, Mindy

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name