Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

HELP PLEASE! Landlord is trying to make me pay for carpets.

Posted by David on March 02, 2000 at 09:59:51:

(Florida)
I recently broke my lease, because I am soon to be married. I have a regular rent controlled apartment under Post Properties. My neighbor's lease was coming to an end and he couldn't find an apartment. We went to the lease manager and asked her if he could transfer and I could break my lease. She agreed and told me I had to forfeit my deposit ($200) and pay a cleaning fee ($200), but would not have to pay the $800 breaking lease fee. I moved out and they did the walk through. After they cleaned my apartment, they said they had to replace the carpets. When I moved in over a year ago, the carpets were already used and slightly stained. I am almost sure I annotated the stains on the pre-inspection walk through. I vacuumed once a week and never had a pet inside my apartment. I also never spilled anything on the carpet and was rarely at home. They are now about to try and make me pay for the new carpet. Is this a clever way of replacing the carpet at my expense and can they do this. Please help.

Thank you,
David

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name