Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

30 day notice

Posted by craig on March 01, 2000 at 20:28:11:

I have a question about a 30-day notice. I am a month-to-month tenant in a two family house in Brooklyn. I won't go into the details of my situation, but the short version is that my landlord raised my rent two consecutive months, I refused to pay the increase and told him I was going to move as soon as I could. Apparently this wasn't good enough for him, as yesterday I recieved a 30-day notice stating that my tenancy would end March 31st, and if I wasn't out by then he would then begin summary proceedings. I am actually buying a co-op, and am in the process of waiting to be approved for my mortgage, and hope to be out by the end of the month. My question is about the 30-day notice itself, and how it is served. The notice I got appears to be a form copied out of some law book. Does the notice have to come from the court, or is it ok if it only came from the landlord? It was served by some stranger, but I did not sign for it, although I did accept it. The server said that the notice was from my landlord's attorney, yet the attorney's name is no where to be found on the document. Is this notice a legal notice, or does it have to come from the court or minimally have an attorney's name on it? Thanks for any help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name