Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Will subletting nullify my lease renewal?

Posted by Tami on February 29, 2000 at 11:03:50:

I live in a rent-stabilized apartment. My lease ends June 30, and I just sent in a one-year renewal notice. There's a chance that I'll be offered a job in another state; if I take it, I may need to relocate before my current lease ends. If that happens and I ask my landlord for permission to sublet, will that nullify the renewal? My concern is that I'll have trouble finding a subletter for just a month or two and will be stuck for the rent, whereas I'll have no trouble finding someone if they know they can stay in the place for an additional year. I've been combing through the fine print on my original lease, rent regulation rider, etc., and I find one piece of information that seems relevant in an indirect way: Apparently, if you're subletting into a renewal period, the landlord can apply a vacancy allowance to the subletter at the point where the renewal kicks in, as if you had vacated at the end of the current lease and as if the subletter was a new tenant just moving in. This suggests that I could sublet through the end of my renewal lease, but I'm really not sure. Has anyone dealt with this problem? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name