Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: come to hearing today 2/25, 10:00am: SO? WHAT HAPPENED?

Posted by JJ on February 25, 2000 at 17:22:09:

In Reply to: The Rent Regs' Bill itself: come to hearing today 2/25, 10:00am posted by Anna on February 25, 2000 at 09:55:49:

: Meeting is still scheduled per NYC council website calendar, last updated 2/23.

: Friday, February 25, 2000

: Committee on Housing and Buildings . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10:00 a.m.

does anyone have a url for the latest housing survey they're using for renew our rent stab?

here's the official city council press blurb promising to renew...

http://www.council.nyc.ny.us/newswire/rentext.htm

N E W Y O R K C I T Y C O U N C I L

Date: December 28, 1999
Phone: 212-788-7123

SPEAKER VALLONE AND COUNCIL LEADERS
PLEDGE COUNCIL WILL EXTEND
RENT STABILIZATION AND RENT CONTROL

Council Speaker Peter F. Vallone and Councilmembers Archie Spigner, Stanley E. Michels,
Herbert E. Berman and Victor L. Robles today introduced legislation to extend rent regulations
for rent stabilized and rent controlled apartments until April 2003. These regulations, affecting
approximately 1 million apartments, would expire on April 1, 2000 if the Council did not act.

"This Council will keep the rent regulation laws intact," said Speaker Vallone. "I guarantee it. I
also guarantee that we will in no way weaken existing tenant protections.

In addition to preserving the rent laws for three years, the legislation requires landlords to
furnish initial tenants of a deregulated apartment with a detailed notice showing how their rents
reached the deregulated amount.

Councilmember Spigner, Chair of the Housing and Buildings Committee, said the bill assures
tenants that their rent protections will continue. "I will hold public hearings, and we will pass this
bill before the rent regulation expiration date of April 1, 2000.

Councilmember Michels said, "The provision we are adding enhances tenants' rights by
plugging a loophole in the current law. It not only ensures that tenants receive basic information
about their apartments but inhibits landlords from illegitimately deregulating apartments."

Councilmember Berman said, "The lack of affordable housing in New York City represents one
of the biggest struggles people face trying to live here. The city's rent protections help preserve
the city's middle class base."

Councilmember Robles added, "I want all New York City tenants to be confident that this
Council will keep their apartment rents regulated in the 21st century. Knowing this now will help
them have a Happy New Year."

The legislators noted that the shortage of affordable housing in New York City makes it clear
that rent regulations must continue to prevent further depletion of that housing stock.

"Three years ago, State Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno predicted the end of rent
regulations," said Speaker Vallone. "Today, I want to make my own prediction - and this one will
come true. Under this City Council, rent regulations are safe, intact and strong.

Other bill sponsors include council members Eisland, Pinkett, Linares, McCaffrey, Quinn,
Povman, Wooten, Freed, Marshall, Rodriguez, Robinson, Perkins, Miller, Lasher, Henry,
Nelson, Moskowitz, Sabini, Rivera, Foster, Fisher, Harrison, White, Warden, Dear and
Malave-Dilan.

NY City Council Home Page

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name