Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: various tenant inquiries

Posted by SamE on February 20, 2000 at 20:50:29:

In Reply to: various tenant inquiries posted by Kleinman on February 20, 2000 at 16:12:20:

:(1) "illegal" studio.

look up 'queens' in the search at the top of the page: I know it's the wrong borough, but there is a link to a very good explanation by the borough president of 'illegal three' and your rights and potential problems.

: my questions are:
: is it expected (customary) that the landlord provide a freshly painted apartment ?

no: except: got kids under 6 or 7? then the new lead paint law requires smooth floors and no chipping paint and no sticking doors.

:unfortunately the house is not kept as warm and the landlord initially promised. usually my thermostat reads just under 70 degrees (brooklyn union states that it should be 68 degrees between the hours of 6 am and 10 pm) i have discussed this with the landlord but to no avail. i am forced to run the oven for extra heat.

don't do that! never never run the oven for heat! esp if it is gas! you are in danger of carbon monoxide! buy one of those oil-filled heaters that look .like a radiator: they are the safest kind.
ps: state law: 68 degrees, 6am-10-pm when temp is 55 outside.

: my only recourse is to pay the rent late.
: how late can i pay the rent without it causing any legal problems ?
: (my understanding is that it's between 5 - 10 days)

landlord can sue you the very next day: if your lease says the 1st, he can sue on the 2nd.

: also how can i check that i am only paying for MY electrical usage on my con ed bill without causing attention from the landlord.

call Con Ed: make the appointment for some time when he is not home.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name