Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

landlords from hell!

Posted by satya on February 16, 2000 at 22:01:15:

Help!

My landlords keep taking my roomate and I to court for various things.. a few months ago they took us to housing court to try to evict us.. for having a supposedly "illegal sublet" which we did not have.. we ended up settling with them.. if they paid our moving costs and reimbursed our brokers fee.. which meant we would not renew our lease in May.. and move out..(even though it is a rent stablilized apartment). We were sick of living there dealing with their harassment.. Their lawyer said they would not bother us again because they knew that we would be leaving soon. We didnt fight it out in court.. being "poor" graduate students.. we don't have the money nor the time to put up a real fight.

Now.. we had an incident.. where my roomate accidently did not turn the sink faucet off all the way.. which flooded the bathroom.. and supposedly caused some water damage to the downstairs apartment.. the landlords did not let her see the supposed damage before they fixed it.. so we dont even know if there was any damage to begin with.. on top of that.. she had requested that she see the damage and get her own estimate if she was to pay for it.. when the landlords demanded that she pay $700 for the supposed damage.. she refused and they told her they would take her to court.

Now.. they are taking the *both* of us to court not only for this damage.. but also for $3000 for something that we have no idea about. One of the court papers mentioned the $700 for the water damage.. and then the second court paper said "property damage: bathroom tub and apartment doors." We seriously have no idea what they are talking about..

This is really difficult for us since we have to now go to small claims court with them on two separate occasions and miss our school classes. I don't understand how people can be so cruel and crazy! Does anybody know of anything we could do? I am going to hopefully contact some tenant rights organizations in nyc.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name