Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

noise from musician's practicing.

Posted by Janet on February 13, 2000 at 15:51:51:

I live in a rent-stabilized apartment and have tried to be patient for the last three years with a young trumpet player who often practices three times a day, seven days a week. When he finishes his evening practice at 8pm he turns on his stereo of which I can hear every note. It has gotten so bad I am forced out of my apartment each time he practices. I can't have friends over in the evening or entertain at all. Not to mention a little peace and quiet. I don't think he has any carpeting since I can also hear every footstep of both he and his roommate (he rents out the bedroom). I have talked to the landlord but get nowhere (his apartment has changed hands several times while I have been here over 20 years and pay less rent). Do I have any rights at all? Does the landlord have to insist that he carpet his apartment? Can I insist he put down some carpeting? I am frequently home during the day as I have my own business and I cannot hear clients on the phone. I am in the arts as well and understand the need for practicing but do I have to tolerate the almost constant noise?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name