Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: falsely accused of not paying rent

Posted by SamE on February 10, 2000 at 19:13:36:

In Reply to: falsely accused of not paying rent posted by Michelle on February 10, 2000 at 14:58:51:

: I moved into a rent stabilized building last september. The management co. has accused me of not paying rent for Dec and January which is absolutely not true. I sent them a certified letter with copies of my cashed rent checks for the months in question and received no response. Yesterday I went to their office in person and got it resolved after alot of arguing.

: Now they say they never got my Feb rent which was mailed two weeks ago. They are treating me like a deadbeat even though my rent is always paid on time. Do I have to send my rent certified every month? How do I handle this? I refuse to pay any late fees.

You can also check if it was cashed at any ATM.

Yes: why not pay the $3.50 or so? for certified-return-receipt or $1.75? for certificate of mailing for a few months at least. My landlord pulled this stunt 4 years ago and started a non-payment case: I lost a whole days pay going to court to prove they cashed the check and the judge did not even make them pay for my losses. They never even apologized: actually, they said it was my fault for not going to their office like you did. That would have been one day's pay lost too. 3.50 a month is cheap insurance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name