Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

heat

Posted by lauren on February 09, 2000 at 21:29:16:

i just moved into this apartment one month agao. i am one of the first tenants to be living in the building. this building was just built and a month ago peole started moving in. I live in queens, and there are six other apartments in my building. i live in a studio. there are studios and one nedroom apartments int he building. when i signed the lease for the apartment my landlord told me that he was going to provide and pay for the heat in the building. the ohter tenants in the building were told the same thing. we all have our own thermostata in out apartments, but since he told all of us countless times that he was paying for the heat we didn't think anything of it. well we all recived our con ed bills this month and it turns out we are paying for heat. i spoke to the landlord agbout it and now he says that he didn't realize that he is only required to provide heat and not pay for it. i can not see how he can get away with this. i guess we all foolishly took his word for it, but it doesn't seem fair that we were all told one thing and he does another. it is like buying a car that promises to do all these things for you and then after you buy it you realize that it is not the truth at all. in our lease it states that the landlord is required to supply the heat, but then on the bottom it says that we must pay for all electrical, gas, and other utility services. i guess i should have looked at the lease more carefully, but there must be a way to figure all this out. after all, i am not the only one he told this to, he told everyone in the building he would pay for heat. all of us are renting. there are two other buildings that he owns as well that are next door to us. i have not talked to any of those neighbors, but i heard that he sold one of the buildings to somone else. i am worried if he is going to sell this building and what that might mean for me and the rest of the tenants. Is there anything i can do?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name