Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: How do I find out who owns my apartment building?

Posted by John on February 09, 2000 at 12:03:45:

In Reply to: How do I find out who owns my apartment building? posted by Ken on February 08, 2000 at 17:14:55:

On each building there should be a building registration number. If you can't find it that's not a big problem, just go to the building department in your area (you can find them in the telephone directory) and request a copy of the deed for the building you live in (you will have to visit the building deparment). More than likely the building is being managed by a third party (managing agent). If the name on the deed is different from the name on the lease and you think the building is not well maintained.
Write to the P.O. Box about your problems (with a certified letter) and discribe what is happening.

Get a copy of Tenants Rights from this website. Most people do not know what to do and what to expect when they go into housing court. While this may seem too extreme for the average tenant, it is best to find out who you are dealing with early and have a Housing Court Judge on your side (meaning you informed the landlord of the obvious problems in your apartment and building).

If it goes too far, withhold your rent for a few months and the owner/building manager will call you into court for failing to pay your rent. Make sure you have written rent receipts from the landlord or agent, I stress again canceled checks are not receipts. They can be for anything.

During this time you will receive non-payment proceeding papers with the landlords name and current address. You can counter sue your landlord in an HP Action case brought by you, for the lack of repairs to your apartment and to the building, and if you can get other people to file an HP Action against the landlord maybe something good could happen.

Good Luck

: I live in a rent stabilized apartment building in Flushing, NY. My landlord is listed on the lease as a realtor with a PO Box in Port Washington, NY. However, there is no such listing in New York or the surrounding counties. How do I find out who the owner is and where they are located? I have a phone number for them but the they are very rude and unresponsive to the tenants, and refuse to give out any information on themselves.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name