Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Any benefit of having boyfriend put on my lease?

Posted by Danielle on February 07, 2000 at 17:26:08:

I am renewing my lease (after having lived in my apartment for the past 13 months- 1 year lease plus one month-to-month lease). My boyfriend will be moving in with me. I was wondering if I should ask to have my boyfriend's name added to the new lease. Are there any benefits to this? I realize that I am allowed to have one roommate, but not sure if there are added benefits to having him on the lease.

We will probably not renew the lease next year. Does having him on the lease provide us with a more sound rental resume when we try to rent our next apartment? If something happens to me (if I should die, knock on wood), would he be booted out if he wasn't on the lease?

The landlord has already raised the rent when they sent me the month to month lease (from $765 to $785). However, my boyfriend is worried that they might try to raise the rent again.

My building is coop, but my apartment owned by a management company that owns 80% of the units.
I live in Queens, NY. The apartment is not rent stabilized, controlled or otherwise subsidized. There are over a hundred apartments in the building.

Thanks.
Danielle

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name