Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: The 11th Hour - and don't want to move!

Posted by John on February 04, 2000 at 22:40:22:

In Reply to: The 11th Hour - and don't want to move! posted by Shirley on February 04, 2000 at 12:54:38:

You just don't make changes to a contract like that. That's a bad thing. See it falsifies it. If her signature was already on the contract and you made the change without her agreeing then you are in trouble. The proper thing would be an entirely new contract. Imagine a lawyer making a change to a contract to a portion written in legal ease and difficult to read, and imagine them doing this after you had already signed the contract.

Now perhaps she had not already signed the contract, regardless you only make changes to a contract after negotiating terms.

I can't stress enough, most problems between landlords and tenants are ego based, someone has been offended. You must be conducive to seeing both sides and be careful to going into any kind of negotiation with the attitude that you are absolutely right, more then likely such an attitude causes one side or another to just dig in deeper. Making the change and sending a certified letter was presumptuous and inappropriate, I am sure she took offense. You should have tried to call her and speak with her reasonable. Always start reasonable and get progressively more aggressive as a situation deteriorates. I would concede she probable has got you.

I am not suggesting that you were particularly so aggressive, I am mainly posting the advice as a general rule, however, as I stated, your approach was inappropriate.
Good Luck
John

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name