Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: No lease! Rent increases...Hardly no heat

Posted by a tenant on February 04, 2000 at 20:14:50:

In Reply to: No lease! Rent increases...Hardly no heat posted by Carin on February 04, 2000 at 19:19:12:

: I have been living without a lease for three years! The landlord has raised the rent almost every year. I need to know if there is some organization that can provide information on raises..Furthermore, he increased a senior citizen's rent by $50.00! When she refused to pay he threated her with another raise! Isn't there laws about this...He has also come into my apartment while I was in the shower. What can a do about this??? This winter there has been hardly no heat..Hot water, but very little heat. I fear holding the rent, he might get very spiteful..What can I do?? HELP

If you have no lease, the landlord can raise the rent as much as he wants and whenever he wants. I lived in a private house once and when the lady downstairs-- an older woman on a small, fixed income-- reported her stove was broken (it was ancient) the lanlord told her if he put in a new stove he would have to raise the rent $50 a month. She bought a hot plate. I got the hell out of there. That's the problem with living in a private house or with no lease, you have virtually no rights.

If your radiator is warm, take a fan (this works, believe me) and face it towards the warm radiator and turn it on. Warm air will circulate and improve the temperature in your apartment. I've done this, don't laugh.

If you withhold rent, he will probably tell you to get out in 30 days.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name