Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Non-return of Security Deposit!

Posted by Catherine on February 01, 2000 at 15:01:37:

Hi,
I wonder if you could help me? I rencently moved to the West Coast from New York where I was renting a room in an apartment in Brooklyn, which I found through a room-mate agency. I was living there for eight months. I gave the woman I was renting from one months notice that I would be leaving. On the day that I left I was told she could not afford to give me the security deposit back as the check had not yet cleared from the new tennant. Of course I didn't totally believe this and suggested she could post date a check so I could deposit it after a weeks time, however she said she had no checks left!
I have since contacted her to remind her of my new address and to ask her when she will be sending my money - she has not replied.
What can I do to get this moeny back - I find it wrong that my security has in effect gone to pay the rent - as she said with me leaving she couldn't afford to pay the rent for that month.
I don't have the funds to become involved in legal proceedings and in all honesty the months rent would probably be equal to two hours legal consultation!
What can I do??????
Thank you in advance for your help.
Catherine

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name