Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

How long does landlord have to return deposit?

Posted by Kieran Downes on February 01, 2000 at 14:25:15:

My landlord is pissed because my sister and I are moving out earlier than we'd planned (although totally within the agreements made in the lease) so she's giving us the run-around about returning our deposit. How long does she have before she absolutely has to give it back (that is, if she plans to at all)? Is it 30 days, 3 months? We still have keys so I hope she'll come around and let us just get this over with, but who knows. So far she's blown off all our appointments to make the exchange.

Also, once we have our deposit back and have returned the keys to the apartment, are we liable in any way? Do we need to get a signed document that says definitively that the lease is terminated on such-and-such a date? What sort of legal action could she take against us if we didn't have such a document? We were given a provision in our lease to give 30-days notice to move out, which we did, even though it was a two year lease and we've only been there about half a year. I understand it's a pain in the rear for her and I was willing to make some concessions (like paying for an ad) even though we weren't doing anything that had not been agreed to originally), but she's really trying my patience now. Any info would be most welcome. Thanks!

Kieran

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name