Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Proper way to withhold rent for no water?

Posted by Minty on January 30, 2000 at 19:00:23:

We've been without water now for about 10 days (none at all). The water main into the building collapsed, and the super and landlord simply have not put 100 percent energy into fixing this, giving all kinds of excuses (such as "the plumber can't dig in the snow," um....). I suspect it's cheaper for them to use their undepandable plumber to get to the job AT SOME POINT even if both units in the building prorated half the month, rather than using a real plumber to fix it promptly. Anyway I did file a formal complaint, and the super said that "he (the landlord) knows he has to prorate."

So, I have to write a check for next months' rent, and want to prorate properly. The check is written to a management company, rather than the landlord directly. What is the proper way to annouce you don't plan on paying for the days which you had no water to best avoid conflict? I have kept a journal, and also have the pages on how this condition directly conflicts with Warranty of Habitability and building codes (thanks, Tenant Net!). Do I need to acquire a special form, or do I automatically put it in an escrow account? I just want to be prepared when I call the management company. Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name