Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: no gas/oven use for 30+ days

Posted by virginia on January 26, 2000 at 18:25:42:

In Reply to: Re: no gas/oven use for 30+ days posted by Anna on January 25, 2000 at 16:44:33:

: The management company says there will be a percentage rent reduction which I haven't been told what it is yet, and I wanted to find out what my rights are regarding rent payment.

** Just wanted to share my experience in a similar situation. You should DEFINITELY get the other tenants organized, and negotiate for a rent reduction and do it IMMEDIATELY! (If nothing else, it may help "motivate" management to move repairs faster.) And, anything that is negotiated GET FROM MANAGEMENT IN WRITING AND SIGNED AND CERTIFIED otherwise they will use it aganist you in the future and put all your negotiations to them IN WRITING!
The only way I know to get an "official" rent reduction is through DHCR -- but as we know that could take half your lifetime, though I have to admit that I did actually get a reduction from DHCR once.
Check TenantNEt for info on warranty of habitability and other regulations about repairs and rent reductions.
The reason I emphasize this is that this happened in my building and the tenants were stupid and didn't negotiate or file for rent reduction and kept believing "the repairs won't take long". In reality, the gas was off for FOUR FULL MONTHS, with all the inconveniences you mention.
The worst of it, though, was that they later filed for an MCI, based on changing all the gas pipes (i.e. tearing through our walls) and the MCI was approved!!
So, we had all the inconveniences, no rent reduction, and then A RENT INCREASE!
So, I encourage you to act on this, preferably collectively, but if no other tenants are interested do it yourself!! Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name