Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord claims I owe ALL security deposit

Posted by Virginia on January 25, 2000 at 16:49:07:

In Reply to: Re: Landlord claims I owe ALL security deposit posted by Anna on January 25, 2000 at 16:26:52:

: None of you have to pay your security deposits a second time: if the old owner did not give them to the new owner, the new owner must sue him, not bother you.

* Thanks for your input! That's what I understand from whatever info I have found so far, but I'm glad to have the confirmation.

: Pay only the 2-4% increase, as usual. Search a little harder for your original check or a receipt... but you have your old leases, that should be enough.

* Yes, I am including copies of everything I can find. (I even found two old checks) I'm assuming there is no reason they can turn down my renewal lease on this basis.

: Organize the tenants: write a letter from all/many of you.

*I'm trying to get our tenant's assoc. to address this too. Unfortunately, it's a small overwhelmed group, same few folks have been doing it for years. It's been difficult-to-impossible to get newer tenants interested....

: Read more about all this on TenantNet Home. There may be a similar cas in Housing Court Decisions. And read the DHCR Fact Sheet on this subject: file complaints from many tenants at the same time for a better response.

* Thanks, I'm continuing to research this in the interim. TenantNet info is great!!
Thank you so much.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name