Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Heat in COOP: the law doesn't care that it is a coop

Posted by Anna on January 25, 2000 at 16:33:19:

In Reply to: Heat in COOP posted by Marion on January 20, 2000 at 10:20:02:

: Hi, Desperate for any help and info. For 10 days in December my coop failed to heat. I am constantly writing to the managing agent and board , but problems are on and off. I never know,if I come home to aheated apt or not. Do have same rights as tenants and how can seek further help,possibly legal. contacted the nyc heating complain unit960-4800. --No results.Thanks Marion

see my answer to Marsha D

also: this is what HPD does when it receives a no-heat complaint:
within a few hours, HPD calls the registered managing agent and asks if the heat is on. If the answer is no, HPD tells them to turn it on or explain why not. HPD sometimes calls the tenant or sends an inspector in the next few days to confirm that the heat is on (IF the temp is below 55). HPD does not mail the tenant anything, so the tenant often has the impression that nothing was done.

The Heat Laws apply to all tenants in any kind of building in NYC, including tenants renting detached single family homes. MDL 79, a state law, covers all multiple dwellings (all coops are included in all laws for multiple dwellings if there are 3 or more units). HMC 27-2028 and 27-2029 expand the MDL to all tenants.

Read more about tenants rights on TenantNet Home.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name