Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Reasonable Rates for Lawyers

Posted by Roxanne on January 24, 2000 at 13:18:59:

Hello,

I have another message posted here which goes into more detail about my problem, but I'll try to keep this one short. Basically, my boyfriend and I have been dealing with excessive noise from our next door neighbors for seven months (live in NYC-financial district). We've gone through all of the proper channels-talking to neighbors, writing letters to leasing office, documenting the noise, talking in person to leasing agent. These people should have been evicted months ago-but nothing would happen-we just got put off and off off.

Okay. So we just contacted a lawyer who specialized in tenant rights. We want to just move, but we don't want to pay penalties becuase there is a clause in our lease that ensures that tenants must be quiet (not even after certain hours). We also really want some compensation for all of the crap we've had to go through in the last seven months. We had to a broker 3000 dollars to find this place.

The lawyer says that his retainer is 1,750, which is a lot of freaking money-except that he thinks we will be able to get some of our rent back from the last seven months. We pay 2045 dollars a month, so that could be quite a lot of money. What I want to know is if that is a crazy fee or normal? I don't mind spending the money if we will finally get results and those a****oles will finally get what they deserve. I just don't want to be taken advantage of again!

If you don't know if this a reasonable rate, do you know where I could find out?
Thanks. I'd really appreciate any replies!
Roxanne

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name