Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord claims I owe more security deposit

Posted by Virginia on January 21, 2000 at 17:28:27:

I moved into rent-stabilized apartment in 1977 (NYC). Paid one month security deposit. I don't still have check from way back then, but have original and subsequent leases stating amount of security deposit. However, a number of years ago the building was taken out of the hands of the (incompetent) owner and into receivership. Unfortunately, the appointed receiver seems to have absconded with building funds and records. New receiver was appointed and new management claimed that they never got their hands on the security deposits. Thus, they claim I owe full month rent for security. I previously provided all records -- copies of leases with sec. dep. indicated -- of my security deposits and increases, though I don't have the checks.
My question is, isn't it their responsibility to get the original security deposits, or can they make me replace that amount?? At the time of the new management takeover, tenants raised the issue of security deposits, but never pursued the issue. Through the years I have been increasing the security deposit by the amount of each renewal lease, but I am about to sign another renewal lease and they are asking for additional hundreds of $$ for the security deposit.
Does anyone have experience with this? Can they do anything???
Thanks much for any input on this topic.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name