Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

You could do a legal sublet

Posted by MikeW on January 21, 2000 at 13:00:38:

In Reply to: illegal sublet - should i? posted by lorraine on January 20, 2000 at 22:42:32:

You can legally sublet for (it think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong) 2 out of 4 years. This would probably cover you till you get your job issues settled. Than you can either come back or give up the apartment.

: ok tenants and lawyers, what do you think. i have a rent stabilized apt.
: over 60 apts in building. pre war. i want to sublet to a very good friend.
: i pay 800 and with the 20% + vacancy allowance the rent could
: go up to 1000$. i also would have to come back in two years (which i may do)
: - i'm going out of town for a job that may work out or may not. but i don't want
: to lose the apt. i don't want my friend to pay 1000 and i don't want to lose the apt. if i decide to stay out of town longer than two years. i do everything by the book, but
: am thinking of illegally subletting. i know i could get caught and prompty evicted, if caught. but i've been here 8 years, send rent checks monthly, renew leases
: and never once actually deal with management in person. the supers are great and may turn the other way. i'm checking it out. my question: how foolish is this?
: what is the liklihood of landlord charging vacancy? why wouldnt they? if i do it illegally, how do i deal with mailing address, utilities, stuff like that - yes, i'm asking
: for info to support an illegal sublet. how is it done? any advice, warnings, bad experiences are welcome.
: lorraine

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name