Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Is noise a form of harrasement?

Posted by Alan on January 09, 2000 at 03:36:44:

What a nightmare this apartment has turned into!

I rent a small NY studio apartment, no rent control/stabilization, have a lease (in the middle of the third renewal term).

During the second lease term a restaurant was constructed in the retail space directly under my apartment. Even though the restaurant had become VERY loud by the time my lease expired, I renewed. But, made a written complaint with the last renewal. Almost 6 months have passed and numerous times I have gone down to ask them to control the music. 2 more written complaints have also been made to both the restaurant and the landlord, but both refuse to do anything about it.

Now I am 1 1/2 years of suffering in a small apartment with this music blarring 14 hours each day. The noise has gotten so out of control that I have started calling the police and have been documenting the times the noise starts and ends each day.

On Monday, I intend to make a complaint with the DEP about the noise/smell of cigarrette, etc.

But am more concerned with a question of harassment. Since I have started asking them to control the music, it has gotten only worse. The staff of the restaurant now insult me when I am seen, and the music gets even louder if I am heard entering my apartment.

Can this be considered harassment? And if so, can I file a complaint in court against them to collect monetary damages for my suffering?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name