Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

refinishing floors -- who to call?

Posted by Fred on January 08, 2000 at 13:55:04:

This event has already passed but I'd like some advice for future reference (or if there is still something I can do). Last Wed. night at about 11pm workmen in the 1st floor cafe (I'm on the 3rd fl) started refinishing the floors. The noise was like a jackhammer (for the 2nd fl neighbors it was worse) -- we went to speak to them and they told us they would be working until 12:30am. Finally as promised at about 12:30am they finished. About 20 minutes after they left a horrible smell came into our apartments -- polyurethane! It was pretty unbelievable and from past experience I can tell you that this induces vomiting. My neighbor called our landlord (at 2:30am) and the next day he yelled at the cafe owner (he rents the space). The cafe owner of course was completely unapologetic. In a situation like this, who do I call? Someone for the noise and someone else for the fumes? The fumes were essentially pumped through the heating system -- is that the landlord's responsibility? Any advice is most welcome!
Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name