Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord refuses to repair hole in floor

Posted by Janet on January 08, 2000 at 02:13:07:

I live in Lafayette, IN. We rent a duplex, $450./month ($200. dep) for 4 years, the last 3 w/out a lease. We were the 1st renters since the building was remodelled. TWO days after moving in, we told the owner there was a leak in the toilet/shower.(no bath). I have made numerous attempts to "repair" it myself, repainted the walls,replaced the tiles 3 times. The mold, mildew, and smell has gotten so bad, I finally removed the tiles and keep a heater on the floor to help keep it dry. There is now a HOLE in the floor the size of a beach ball, and mushrooms growing behind the toilet. I called the Health department, in retaliation, he rented the other side to a group of young boys-- aspiring musicians and he told me to "eat" the mushrooms.
Our rent has never, in 4 years been late. I've called him once to unclog our toilet. All other repairs I have done myself. I have 2 small children (3 and 5) I ca not afford the $1000-$1500. it would cost to move. His only response is that he is "sorry he ever bought this property, and he just doesn't care." Please tell me what I can do......

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name