Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Collector says Landlord can sue for rent, even without contract.

Posted by Cody on January 07, 2000 at 10:04:53:

I lived in a fraternity house for about two years, and then moved out. The house claims
I still owe them rent for the last semester. I never signed a contract about this, but
the bill has gone to a collection agency. I have requested from the collector a written,
signed contract stating I would pay this money and that I lived there. They do not have
anything of the sort, but claim there are witnesses that can testify that I lived there.
I did live there for about two weeks, and am willing to settle for two weeks worth, not
5 months. Can they really force me to pay rent based on someone's word that I lived there?
Or, is this just a scare technique to get me to pay them some money. There were other factors
involved in my moving out that made some people mad, and I think that plays some role in this.
A confirmation on whether or not they can sue for rent without a housing contract would be greatly
appreciated. I am offering a free Aquarium software package to anyone who will respond.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name