Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

landlord wants to rise my rent or kick me out - there is no LEASE

Posted by Sylvia on January 03, 2000 at 19:46:21:

Hi all,
For two years I have been living without lease in Brooklyn, NY in 5 family house.
Two days ago my landlord (just out of the blue) approached me with his decision to rise my rent from $800 to $900.
When I asked him why he wants to rise my rent, he said that he doesn't have to answer and explain me because legally I live in 3 family house where there is no law written and he can rise my rent by as much as he wants and whenever he wants.
To spice the whole problem I just want to let you know that he decided to rise only my rent - nobody else is about to have rent risen, and also my landlord live in the same house and rents 4 other apartments but for 2 of them he doesn't pay taxes because he doesn't report them.
So far, I refused to pay him higher rent because for half a year I have been having a problem with my toilet and for 3 months I have been asking him to repair my thermostat, because I have either horrible heat in my apartment that I am unable to breath or
it is so cold that I am shaking. Another words I have been asking and asking and complaining but even thought I have been still paying my $800 rent every month on time. Well I refuse to pay $900 and he said that if I do not pay it he wants me out and if I do not leave he will make me leave his way.
What are my options??
Can I report him somewhere and let IRS know that the house is 5 family not 3 ?? ( this way he will definitely get in trouble if he is vicious to me)
Does he have a right to kick me out if I pay my rent on time every month??
Does he have a right to rise only my rent even though my apartment is the only one in the house that needs repairs, simply because the house was old when they bought it and the only apartment where plumbing wasn't changed was the one that I moved in??

I just want to remind you that I do not have a LEASE.
I will really appreciate any feedback and input.
Thanks a lot guys and happy New Years
I am waiting for your responses

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name