Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: do not pay increase for fridge

Posted by Anna on January 03, 2000 at 16:10:08:

In Reply to: Re: Yo, Rich! do not pay increase for fridge posted by Jessica on January 03, 2000 at 15:32:08:

: thanks Anna,
: couple of follow-up questions:
: 1) I live in a 2 dwelling apt (so not MD) but it's on the second floor -- for my information, can you give me (or direct me to) some info on fire escape rules/laws. There are other windows in the apt -- but none go to a fire escape (there's a ladder to the roof outside my front door) so I'm guessing my window in question doesn't qualify.

NYS adopted (in 1984?) a Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, overseen by the Dept of State; the code is not available online because of some deal with the print and disk publisher.
You can get some info at: http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/ls-codes.html The new PDF Model Code Comparison (have not read it yet) might be useful.

Some fire provisions are contained in the Building Code and in the HMC (both cover all NYC residential dwellings): older version on TenantNet Home, newere version (basically, only the section numbers changed) on the RGB website, housingnyc.com

Suggest you go to you local fire station: ask them. If in Queens, try Claire Shulman's office: if they can't help, they will refer you to a place that will. http://www.queens.nyc.ny.us/presiden/convert.htm

: 2) If I agree to pay for the fridge - what is the best approach (I'm not rent-regulated) -- offer 1/40th? I don't want to get stuck paying for an entirely new fridge if this one doesn't work (otherwise I'd like to take it with me when I move!) would waiting for it to completely die be the best approach?

The difficulty that non-regulated tenants have is that some landlords refuse to renew their lease (or ask them to leave) in retaliation for the tenants' asking for basic repairs. Illegal but even if you won in court, you'd be better off moving. The best course is: negotiate: be politic, appear reasonable.

The Fridge: 1/40th is the rent-regulated max, you could use it as a suggested rent increase. Repairing appliances often cost more than replacing them: if he pays the electric, try pointing out the energy savings on the new one. Or why not just ask if you can store HIS fridge in the basement and bring in your own (and, yes, take it with you when you move)? A 24-inch is under $400.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name