[Table of Contents] [Next Section]

A Tenant's Guide to Getting and Keeping Gas and Electricity Service

TenantNet note: This booklet was published by Brooklyn Legal Services in 1995. Some information contained may be out-of-date, particularly listed telephone numbers. As far as we know, there have been no updates to this publication. While much of the information may still be valid, the reader should exercise caution.

Important Phone Numbers

Con Edison

(718) 802-6000
30 Flatbush Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11217
1-800-872-8846 (for elderly, disabled special protections)

Brooklyn Union

(718) 643-4050
1 MetroTech Center
Brooklyn, New York 11201-3850
403-2167 (for deferred payment agreements)
403-2171 (for elderly, disabled special protections)
403-2174 (for medical emergency special protections)
403-2176 (for medical emergency special protections)

For Consumer Appeals:

Con Edison Consumer Appeals--(718) 802-5557 Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

Brooklyn Union Consumer Appeals--(718) 403-5022 Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

For Complaints:

New York State Public Service Commission

1-800-342-3355 HOTLINE (for threatened termination)
Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.

1-800-342-3377 HELPLINE (for complaints)
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.

(212)290-4292 or 1-800-662-1220 (for hearing/speech impaired)

1-800-342-3377 (for bilingual service)

Consumer Services Division
1 Penn Plaza
New York, NY 10119

New York City Human Resources Administration Income Support Centers

(718) 291-1900


Fulton, 215 Duffield Street
Clinton, 103 Clinton Street
Wykoff, 213 Duffield Street
DeKalb, 500 DeKalb Avenue
Bushwick, 30 Thornton Street
Linden, 210 Livingston Street
Prospect, 214 Livingston Street
Bay Ridge, 6740 4th Avenue
Nevins, 94 Flatbush Avenue
Livingston, 98 Flatbush Avenue
Brownsville, 17 Hinsdale Street
Euclid, 404 Pine Street
Fort Greene, 45 Hoyt Street
Williamsburg, 320 Schermerhorn Street
Greenwood, 275 Bergen Street

The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development

Central Complaints--(212) 824-4328
Emergency Repairs Program--(212) 316-8283
Utility Non-Payment Division--(212) 316-8283
HPD Recoupment--(212) 340-7272

The City of New York Buildings Department (Brooklyn Office)

(718) 802-3681
Municipal Building
8th Floor
Brooklyn, New York 11201

The City of New York Bureau of Electrical Control

(212) 669-8353
2322 Municipal Building
New York, New York 10007

[Table of Contents] [Next Section]

External links are for convenience and informational purposes, and in some cases, might be sponsored
content. TenantNet does not necessarily endorse or approve of any content on any external site.

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name