New York Housing Laws
Rent Regulation (i.e., Rent Control or Rent Stabilization) does not
cover all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship in New York. The following
laws cover all tenants -- regulated and non-regulated.
We have also included the Public Officers Law (which includes the Freedom
of Information Law -- FOIL) and the State Administrative Procedures Act (SAPA)
as tenants are often faced with non-responsive (read hostile) government agencies
and therefore must take matters into their own hands.
- NYS Real Property Law (RPL)
- Ownership, title, interest and rental of real property; brokers
- NYS Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law (RPAPL)
- Relating to court cases involving real property
- NYS Multiple Dwelling Law (MDL)
- New York City & Buffalo; overlaps with Housing Maintenance Code; Standards for housing and maintenance issues
- NYC Housing Maintenance Code (HMC)
- New York City minimum standards for housing; superintendent services; registration
- NYS Public Officers Law (POL)
- Contains Freedom of Information Law (FOIL), Privacy and Open Meetings
- Your Right to Know: New York's Open Government Laws
- Booklet issued by the Committee on Open Government
- NY State Administrative Procedures Act (SAPA)
- Details procedures for rule making by state agencies; index of administrative case law.